Monday, October 7, 2013

Waiting for Christmas... Metaphorically

It is finally, finally, finally here! After five long months of waiting the third season of Epic Rap Battles of History has come out. To give you an idea, I had most of the first season memorized when I was a freshman, that's how long and how much I have loved these videos. It was all I could think about the night before. I knew that it was gonna be the third installment of their classic "Hitler vs. Vader" matchup. It's like having this big old christmas present waiting downstairs with a huge bow on it, and you know you've been asking for some crazy awesome game device or tv or something. However, I cant cheat and peek. I just have to sit and wait for five months. So when I finally got to watch it about like 2 minutes ago I was so extremely....kinda disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love nicepeter and all the raps he has written, but this third installment kinda seemed less like a dramatic conclusion, and more like they were running out of comic material for this matchup. I can definitely understand that. For my AP World History project after the AP test, we had to make a music video. We decided on a rap about the Russian leaders to the tune of "Ice Ice Baby" (coincidentally the season 2 ending of epic rap battles of history came out with of all five major Russian leaders and I absolutely loved it!) but we ran out of good material in about two verses, and this was a subject we prepared for all year. I just felt like I opened the christmas box and got a sweatshirt. Nice, but not the amazing image I've placed into my mind.

This is a good lesson for everyone about overhyping something to yourself. If you blow it out of proportions in your head, you will disappoint yourself. This definitely contributed to my disappointment, but I honestly just think this was one of his worst raps, and it came at an unfortunate time. I thought maybe I had grown out of it, and I didn't find them good anymore, but I went back and watched the old ones and they were just as genius as they were before (I recommend Shakespeare vs. Dr. Seuss). I just wish he had stuck to his strong suits and done a high-tempo, clever, full-of-puns rap on a fresh subjects. This is what I'm looking forward to in his next rap battle. Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment