Sunday, October 27, 2013

Childish but Amazing

First off, I'd like to say congratulations to all of those Kennedy kids who made All-State Choir. I, unfortunately, didn't make it. However, I will be trying my hardest again next year. This does mean that I started today a little bit bummed out. So I decided today's blog was gonna be over something that is ridiculously funny, childish, and makes you believe that there is good in the universe. "What could possibly do that?" I hear you cry out. Why of course it must be "The Farting Preacher".

Now before you immediately judge me and quit my blog forever, just take a second to look it up. It is the simplest, most childish thing I have ever seen, but every time I watch it I can't help but smile. It is so dumb, but the way that preacher makes all those awkward movements and whoever made the video turned them into comedic gold by simply adding a fart sound effect. I can't help but laugh every time the preacher scrunches his face, the fart sound goes off, and then he yells "Hallelujah" or "Praise Jesus". The best part of this, is that you can do it yourself. Just watch a televangelist at home, and add fart sound effects. It is hilarious every time.

Now I realize some people are offended by this for religious reasons, and I can understand that. However, I think that it isn't offensive for two reasons.

My first reason is that I think laughter and humor is one of the greatest things humanity has ever done. You can turn a person's mood, day, or even life around by just giving someone laughter. I think humor brings peace, interconnectedness, and a brotherly love that is becoming scarcer and scarcer in the modern world. I think the fact that this video has brought joy to so many people justifies itself. It isn't trying to make fun of Christianity in the slightest. The video wouldn't change at all if the religion was Hindu or Judaism or Buddhism. It is simply a funny video.

My second reason is that Robert Tilton had it coming to him. After a group called the Trinity Foundation started receiving people who had lost most of their money donating it to televangelists, they started an undercover investigation. They made a fake televangelist and talked to the agency that Robert Tilton ran his mail through. What they found is that the whole of Tilton's goal was to make extremely large amounts of money that went to his bank. Also, when they searched dumpsters outside of Tilton's lawyer's office and outside of his bank, they found tens of thousands of unread prayer letters, bank statements showing huge amounts of money going to Robert Tilton, and the computer program for how their "personal responses" were done automatically. The Trinity Foundation released these results showing how Tilton had aggressively taken advantage of religious followers and merely reaped cash while completely disregarding the religious aspects. Many lawsuits for fraud followed and were successful against Robert Tilton. Tilton tried to argue against this investigation in court but lost repeatedly. So, Robert Tilton who took advantage of untold amounts of people lost the money and is now forever known as "The Farting Preacher". Whether you believe in karma, divine intervention, or coincidence, this is some of it at it's finest.

This is a absolutely hilarious video that is guilt-free because the televangelist was a corrupt jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment