Thursday, October 17, 2013

Cheating the Rules... Kinda

I made myself a set of rules when I started this blog that I would follow strictly.
1. I could only talk about videos that I personally watched.
2. I would be truthful in my opinion, and never falsely praise a video.
3. I would only cover the topics of music and humor.
4. I would only cover a song, artist, group, or routine once.
Well recently I did a blog about Pentatonix and I hate to say it, but I'm going to break rule number 4.... kinda. The video itself was actually done by another Youtube singer named Todrick Hall, but PTX guest-starred (guest-sang?) in it. Pentatonix was the main reason I found the video and the main reason I watched it as well. Still it doesn't technically break any of my rules and it is a great video.

The video is a a capella take on the Wizard of Oz in which they sing modern pop songs alongside the story line. One of my favorite parts is just how punderful the name is: "The Wizard of Ahhhs". I absolutely love a good/bad pun. You know the ones that are so cheesy and awful that they're like sparkling gems of comedy. One of the funniest things I've heard this month was a classmate Douglas saying "Timmy the Math Master... more like Math Disaster". I just love bad puns.

Another thing I love about this video, besides the always gorgeous Pentatonix voices, is the wonderful song selection for each section. There was the classic "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" at the beginning, but after the tornado it was "Wide Awake" and the fairy sang "Shoes" as the Wicked Witch was crushed by the house as the Lollipop Guild sang "Lollipop", and then "Damaged" for the tin man, and some beautiful pieces at the end like "Home" by Phillip Phillips which is a personal favorite. It all just works so darn well together.

I guess you could say I was biased to like this from the beginning, for one because I like the Wizard of Oz, but also because I love a good parody. Whether it was Futurama parodying Moby Dick or Family Guy parodying everything I enjoy the heck out of how people can rearrange famous and classical pieces into something new and interesting. It is also usually really funny, which is mainly because every classic piece has some real oddities to it. For the Wizard of Oz, I never understood the Lollipop Guild or the flying monkeys or why a witch who's fatal weakness is water (really?) would keep a bucket of water in her castle (REALLY?). So I was intrigued by this video from the start do it's parody nature and it provided in bucket-loads with some wonderful song choices, amazing singing, bad puns, and a short but powerful parody of the Wizard of Oz. Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment