Thursday, October 3, 2013

PTX = Godliness

I don't know if everyone knows PTX, otherwise known as Pentatonix, but they are absolutely one of my favorite singing groups in recent history. Their story is inspiring, their singing is beautiful, and I can't help but love a cappella. The hair alone on the blond singer is worth a Grammy. I really want everyone to go right now to PTX's Youtube channel and spend about an hour just letting the gorgeous music run over you.

PTX started out as a completely unknown group on a show called "The Sing-Off". This was sort of like an American Idol type competition with a cappella groups. Each week would be a different style or type of music the groups had to perform, and one group was eliminated each week until three groups competed at the finals for the champion spot. Ever since I saw their first performance of "ET" by Katy Perry, I knew they were awesome. They have absolutely perfect pitch and blend with one another. It sounds like a cohesive unit unlike some other groups that can get a little too focused on one person. Another aspect of their rise that I love is how much they had to fight through. They were a group of five people, which was extremely rare for an a cappella group. It's just extremely hard to produce the level of tone and volume that larger groups can use. Imagine it in the same way that Kennedy High School is 4A because of it's size. Now imagine a small 1A school rising up and completely dominating every 4A school. I was really worried that after their appearance on "The Sing-Off" they would disappear. However, they are stronger and more popular than ever through the use of their Youtube channel. Recently, they released their "Evolution of Music" video, and even after twenty playthroughs it's still jaw-droppingly awesome. They have gone on concert tours and released an album and I couldn't be happier that they are succeeding so much.

While I do think PTX has some special quality that most a cappella groups don't have. I truly do love every a cappella group. It's just so cool the variety of sounds humans can produce using just their voice. The beatboxers are amazingly talented at what they do. One of the other a cappella groups I really enjoy is BYU's Vocal Point. They also competed on "The Sing-Off" but unfortunately didn't win. They did an amazingly cool cover of "Every Little Step" and is probably one of my favorite a cappella performances ever. This is why I was so excited when BYU Vocal Point actually came to Kennedy High School pretty recently, and even held an a cappella workshop.

A cappella singing is a showcase of the amazing variety and power of the human voice and I love it. I wish everyone would stop stereotyping it by Pitch Perfect and Glee but I guess it is as it is. Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment