Thursday, October 10, 2013

Swag Swag Swaggety Swag Swag Swag

I use the word swag once or maybe twice a day, and usually in a joking way. There are people though, who use swag once or twice for every sentence, you know who I'm talking about. They need to stop. It is really annoying, repetitive, and frankly stupid to say "swag" for everything. My hat is swag, my shirt is swag, I live the swag-life, I swag daily, swag-style, swag-please-shut-your-mouth-and-never-say-swag-again. So that is what made me so happy when I found a video by George Watsky, a really funny and talented rapper, that was titled "100 Words You Could Say Instead of Swag".

The video shows exactly how bad it is in high schools with the word "swag". George is the teacher of the class as well as one of the kids who just constantly says swag. George sings about how he thought swag had died long ago, but Justin Bieber revived itl. He then shows exactly how useless and annoying swag is by showing all the words and phrases you could use instead of just swag. My oh my, does he do a good job. There is so many ways to express yourself without the use of one stupid word. I absolutely love the part in the middle when he shows how Walt Whitman described his carefreeness by saying "I cock my hat as I please" and then juxtaposing (placing it next to) Justin Bieber's lyrics "swag swag swag on you, sittin by the fire while we eatin fondue." It perfectly illustrates exactly how ridiculously simplistic and stupid we sound when compared to some actual literature. This is shown again by the 100th word when he says "You can even just use the word "swagger", which is actually a real word that's existed for hundred of years." Swag is a completely unneccesary word that has no place in old or modern English.

He also just does a awesome rapping job and I love how his attitude changes and seeing the teacher break it down in front of all the kids. By the end he's dancing around in the front of the class and imitating the swag-sayers by using swag in ridiculous ways like my favorite line "my favorite bird is a swagpie, and my favorite pie...is a swagpie" or "live swaggety ever after". It was just a really nicely put together rap by a cool kid who has a really valid point that people need to stop saying swag so much. Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment