Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Smooth Criminal

I'm no McJagger and I don't have any moves reminiscent of him. I am an average white high school boy who would probably rather do hours of manual labor than stand in the middle of a circle of people and just dance. Some people may say "But Adam don't you dance in front of lots of people in show choir?" The first thing I say to that is don't start a sentence with a conjunction (PSAT is this Saturday and I'm a little bit on grammar edge right now) and also that is choreographed and so I don't have to come up with it on the spot. If you don't think there is a difference imagine speaking a prepared essay in front of the class or just having to stand up and present to your class for ten minutes on any topic which you don't have preparation for. It may be easy to do that if you're a natural public speaker in the same way some people are natural dancers that feel comfortable just going and dancing. I am not a natural dancer. I do really appreciate phenomenal dancing though. A wonderful dancer I just found, mainly because I was watching an a cappella version of "Smooth Criminal" covered by Voces 8, is the dancer Marquese Scott known on Youtube as WHZGUD2.

He does an awesomely executed dance to a dubstep version of Michael Jackson's "Beat It". I've been a huge fan of Michael Jackson's songs from the Jackson Five to his solo days, and a huge fan of his dancing. There are lots of dance tributes out there to the smooth yet mechanical style of dancing that Michael Jackson introduced. He always seemed to float over the ground.  Well if Michael Jackson is floating over the ground Marquese Scott is soaring because I think he does a better job at Michael Jackson style dancing than Michael Jackson did. Every move looks so effortless when he does it. Another great example of this is in his dance video to "Pumped Up Kicks". He looks surreal, almost like a robot or some sort of nonhuman entity, because I have never seen another human move that way. He is perfectly balanced and the sharp contrast between his quick mechanical moves and long smooth moves work perfectly with the music. One of the things I appreciate the most about his dancing is that he didn't try to outflair someone with special effects or a stunning costume. This is simply a guy in the middle of a parking lot wearing normal attire dancing his heart out. Marquese performs an amazing tribute to Micheal Jackson by recreating and revamping some of his most classic moves. I enjoyed the pacing of the video as it gradually got more intense as it built up to the climax which I think happened at 2:50 in the video, as he strikes a classic Michael Jackson pose.

Nothing would make me happier than finding out this is just some guy with a hobby, but he is actually a professional dancer who has been training quite a while. That just goes to show you how amazing you can become when you dedicate yourself. Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment