Friday, April 11, 2014

Am I a Youtuber?

So I just realized that I myself have a channel! Apparently having an account on Youtube means you have a channel as well, automatically! I don't know why, but in my mind I never associated myself as one of the "Youtubers". However, it seems that I am to join that rank of elite. I am a Youtuber.

That is if I choose to post anything. I feel like I should contribute to Youtube in some way. I was just talking recently about how I disliked the VEVO channels because they occupy the top spots while posting videos extremely rarely. Yet I have never posted a single video to my channel.

What should I post about? Do I just post about my life? I would say that I don't think my life is exciting enough for people to watch, or that I don't have very funny video ideas. However, when you watch videos from all of the top Youtubers, they are all surprised in the exact same way. They didn't think what they were doing was going to be extremely popular. They just did it for the fun of it, and are pleased with the results.

Do I have responsibilities as a Youtuber? Do I have some sort of obligation now to give back to Youtube after they bestowed this honorific title upon my shoulders. Is there some sort of initiation process I missed, or a newbie Youtuber orientation to give me my bearings. I don't even know how to post a video, or annotate, or add additional information!

 It's easy to take in all the information that Youtubers put out, yet a little bit disorientating when you are the one trying to prepare a video for everyone to watch. It gives me a lot more respect for those Youtubers who post daily with original work. I mean, I've only done 50 blog posts, some of which aren't even about Youtube, and already I'm starting to hit a wall for new ideas. I can't imagine how hard it must be to produce something every single day that is original and worthwhile. I definitely won't complain anymore when a Youtuber doesn't post in a while, or if they might recycle an idea.

I'm starting to realize now that I am a legitimate blogger as well! 60 or so blog posts is a lot of material I put out! If someone really had a desire, a surprising one, they could spend hours just reading my writing. That's one of the things I love about all the new media platforms like Youtube. Everyone on the web is now a "creator". We all are now creative producers with the opportunity to be discovered for our thoughts and succeed based off of those. It's a pretty inspirational idea to think that someone someday, perhaps years from now, might read my blog or subscribe to my Youtube channel. I am a Youtuber and a blogger. I am a creator. Now I just have to wait until I get discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment