Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Break or Holiday Break

I am calling for a truce among nations, a bridge between fighting forces, a peace to settle among this hectic world. I would like to put forth that it does not matter in the slightest whether kids color Christmas trees in school, or sing carols, or wear Santa hats. It also does not matter whether you call it Christmas or Holiday Break.

I know this may be shocking to you but as a minority faith, I am not particularly disturbed or offended by any public display of a religion that's not mine. I am glad that I live in a country where my religious freedoms are defended, and therefore I defend the right of people to put on Christmas displays. I understand how some people can get upset about when the government institutions do religious displays or the fact that is in schools. I just think this a part of Christianity being in the heavy majority in this country. I'm sure in India, the government does displays for Hindu festivals, or Jewish festivals in Israel.

In fact, I know that last one is true. When I was in Israel the government made elaborate displays and light shows during holidays. This was in the heart of Jerusalem, the crossing roads of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, and no one really seemed upset in the slightest that the government was displaying a certain religion. It's not oppressive or forcing. The Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center in New York does not demand that all citizens be Christian, it is just a representation of the faith that makes up a majority of this country.

Besides, Hannukah and Christmas are both very inconsequential religions when it comes to the actual religious side of it (which I will talk about in a later post). They are supposed to be times of joy and happiness, instead of discord and division.

So I am calling out to everyone to relax a little, and not start a fight over whether it is Christmas or Holiday Break. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment