Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I'm a nerd

I admit it, I finally admit it. I am a complete and total nerd. I debated whether or not to put this entry in so I could at least keep up the semblance of not being a nerd, but I just had to do a blog entry on this. It's so freakin cool and I just love the idea behind it. What is that beautiful idea? Two Words...... Zelda Dubstep.

If you need to know more than those two words then I'm not sure I can look at you anymore. When I heard this was a thing I rushed to the nearest computer to look it up. The DJ who made these remixes is called Ephixa, and he is a genius. He took classic Legend of Zelda songs and turned them into hardcore dubstep versions, and it works beautifully.  My personal favorite is probably the Lost Woods Remix, which can be found easily on Youtube.

People who didn't grow up playing the Zelda games might not be as interested and pumped by this as I am, but they need to realize two things. One, Zelda games were family events at my house in which everyone gathered around and enjoyed it together. Two, Zelda games have absolutely gorgeous music in every release. I mean these games were practically revered for their amazing soundtrack, which makes sense, since the creator of Zelda was also the creator of the legendary Mario series. One of the main focuses when creating these two games was the soundtrack. This has led to some iconic songs such as the original Mario theme or the Lost Woods theme.

What I think makes it so effective and cool of a song is that it starts with an almost unaltered Lost Woods theme that is very timid and mystical, which is what makes the heavy dubstep so shocking and cool. If there is one thing I like about dubstep, a music style I've been very cautious to embrace, is the buildup to that one moment when the bass drops.

The history, the style, the execution, the personal meaning, and simply the nerdy awesomeness of it has made this a wonderfully enjoyable song for me. Hope you enjoy it too.

Thanks for listening

No comments:

Post a Comment