Sunday, February 2, 2014

Trick Plays

As the Super Bowl inches closer by the hour, I remember one of my favorite Youtube subjects to research, trick plays. They are so interesting to watch, and enjoyable to try to figure out all the intricacies. I guess I have always liked the idea of complex deception as a method of success, mind vs. mind. This is why magic tricks always have captured my attention. 

The trick play is a tricky by nature. It requires precision and planning, flawless communication and execution to play outside of the box. Usually it requires using skills that aren't normally required, players to diversify into positions they don't normally assume. A field goal kicker throwing a thirty yard pass, or a lineman running the ball. 

The pleasure of a trick play comes in the success. A well-executed trick play should leave a complete gap in the defense. In a game where every yard is earned through blood and sweat, it is so refreshing and powerful to have no opposition. There is always a moment of confusion in the audience, and then the sudden realization (either good or bad). It is such a momentum changer when it succeeds. 

I have absolute respect for the coaches that consistently come up with new trick plays. They have so much opposing them. The defense is professionally trained to stop them in any way possible. The entire referee system is in place to stop teams from abusing and finding loopholes in the rules. Every time a dominating trick play is created, it is constantly banned. One of the greatest compliments you can say about a coach is how many rules were created to stop them. It shows the creativity, intellect, and understanding of the intricate aspects of the game.

I guess I should tell you my favorite trick play. My personal favorite is the Statue of Liberty, in which the quarterback pretends to throw the ball but doesn't, and quickly hands it off. My favorite instance of this is when the quarterback hands it off to a lineman. It is always fun to watch the trick plays about whether the ball is snapped or not, when the quarterback just walks through the defense. When executed cleanly the Hook and Ladder, in which the ball is passed and then immediately pitched is so smooth and perfect to watch. They are all extremely enjoyable, as long as they aren't against my team. Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment