Saturday, January 11, 2014

Hypercompetiveness-itvity

So today is the first competition of the year for Kennedy show choirs. The Prarie show choir invitational. Even though Happiness is not competing at this competition, our junior varsity and freshman groups are competing, and I'm feeling competitive by proxy. That's where I feel super competitive even though I'm not even the one competing. I just feel competitive because it's a Kennedy group competing, like how fans are super competitive over their favorite football team winning or all the Kennedy fans that show up to sport games.

 I have a long history of an extremely competitive nature. Maybe it derives from all the competition of having three brothers, but I love winning. I feel like winning is the best reward for all the hard work that you put into something you love. It stinks to put in so much effort in to something and not receive any reward for it.

I think it is this drive to win has made me a harder worker, better performer on stage and in the classroom. I think this isn't a unique aspect to me. I believe that everyone is driven to win and that is what makes them work for things. I believe all the greatest minds, athletes, and performers shared an internal drive to win. I'd like to think that this drive to win is what causes Kennedy to be one of the best schools in Iowa, America to be one of the best schools in the world, and the continuing improval of the human race.

I know that winning isn't everything. I was raised in 21st century America and I know that putting in the hard work and having a good team spirit is whats really important. I also know that being overly focused on winning can cause you to miss the important parts of show choir such as having fun, being a cohesive team, and making great friends. That is why I never let losing affect me in a serious way. I always try to find ways that I can improve after a loss, but I never become seriously upset.

I believe that being competitive is a positive aspect in most situations. There is nothing more frustrating than being reliant on someone who doesn't have the same competitive drive as you do. I feel helpless when I am in situations in which I have no control if I win or lose. I want to be in control of my own outcome. It is important to have people you can trust and rely on though.

I guess my final advice is to let your competitive nature make you a harder worker, but realize that sometimes things just happen and you have to accept that, try to improve, and move on to the next competition. Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment